Arrest Incident at ABN TV/Radio Station, CP Abia State Visits ABN TV/Radio, Takes Necessary Disciplinary Action*
*Arrest Incident at ABN TV/Radio Station, CP Abia State Visits ABN TV/Radio, Takes Necessary Disciplinary Action*
1. The Abia State Police Command wishes to address the recent incident involving the arrest carried out by some police personnel at an online radio studio in Umuahia.
2. Preliminary investigations into the incident indicate that the police officers who made the arrest, conducted themselves unprofessionally.
3. This is because, while there is no law prohibiting a police officer from making an arrest in a studio, the facts surrounding the particular case being investigated by the police officers do not warrant such actions.
4. The Commissioner of Police Abia State Command visited ABN TV/Radio on 17/1/24, where he conducted an on-the-spot assessment. He had discussions with the Director of ABN TV/Radio, and apologized for the conduct of the officers. The matter was resolved amicably.
5. However, the officers have been defaulted and their orderly room trial commences today 18/1/2023. If found guilty they will be disciplined accordingly.
6. The Abia State Police Command is committed to maintaining a professionally competent, service-driven, rule-of-law compliant, and people-friendly Police Force, in line with the vision of the Inspector General of Police, IGP Kayode Ebetokun, PhD NPM.
ASP Maureen Chinaka LLB ANIPR
FOR: The Commissioner of Police
Abia State Command